With flu season rapidly approaching, it’s time to start thinking about getting vaccinated.
Are you at risk for catching the flu?
The Northern Illinois Public Health Consortium reports that every year, between 5% and 20% of the U.S. population contracts the flu. What’s more, 200,000 people are hospitalized and 36,000 die from complications ever year. The risk for contracting the flu and experiencing more serious complications increases for at-risk populations, including seniors, people with health conditions and people with disabilities. It is highly encouraged that these populations get vaccinated to help decrease their risk of getting sick. Even if you aren’t in a high-risk population, getting vaccinated will help reduce your risk of getting sick and spreading the flu to high-risk individuals.
Where can you get the flu vaccine in Chicago?
There are many locations throughout the Chicagoland area that provide flu vaccinations. Most insurance plans cover part or all of flu vaccination costs, but double check with your provider prior to vaccination to be sure.
The Chicago Department of Public Health created a great tool that plots vaccination locations on a map. If you live within the city of Chicago, this is a great resource to quickly find your closest pharmacy or clinic. This tool even maps locations that provide free vaccinations.
If you live in the suburbs, your best bet is to visit a chain pharmacy, grocery or big box store for your vaccine. Visit the HealthMap Vaccine Finder to find a location in your town providing vaccines.
- Walgreens: To find a location nearest you that can provide a flu shot, visit http://www.walgreens.com/topic/health-shops/flu-shots.jsp.
- CVS: To find a CVS Pharmacy location, visit http://www.cvs.com/promo/promoLandingTemplate.jsp?promoLandingId=flu.
- Jewel-Osco: You’re going to be getting groceries anyway – why not get vaccinated while you’re at the store? Visit https://svu.reportsonline.com/SVUSched/program/program165/Patient/Advisory to set up an appointment.
- Target Clinic: Target locations with Target Clinics provide flu vaccinations. To find a Target Clinic location near you, visit http://www.target.com/store-locator/find-clinic.
Free flu vaccines in Chicago
If you don’t have insurance or your insurance doesn’t cover flu vaccines, you aren’t out of luck. A number of clinics across the city offer flu vaccines free of cost. Please note that the locations below may have limited operating hours, so check with the City of Chicago website for hours and locations.
- Greater Lawn WIC
- Lower West WIC
- Roseland Community WIC
- Englewood Neighborhood Health Center
- Uptown Neighborhood Health Center
Have you been vaccinated for the upcoming flu season? If not, do you plan to? Let us know in the comments!