Have you ever wanted to travel back in time? In one of our current life enrichment programs, “The Great Time Travel Adventure,” residents explore American history through monthly engaging programs and events.
At Chicago Methodist Senior Services, we’re always looking for new, creative ways to benefit residents’ quality of life. That’s why we offer many life enrichment programs like “The Great Time Travel Adventure,” where residents can explore their interests and continue a lifetime of learning.
What is life enrichment like at CMSS?
At CMSS, we offer a variety of programs that enrich residents’ lives — from our intergenerational art program, “Creative Community Connections,” where residents share art and letters with an artistic pen pal; to our partnership with Embodied Labs’ innovative virtual reality labs, which trains caregivers in conditions like Alzheimer’s disease and hearing loss using VR technology. Our life enrichment programs:
- Are resident-driven. All of our programs are based on what residents are actually interested in and care about. They celebrate residents’ individual strengths, skills and talents.
- Include social opportunities. We understand the positive impact of spending time with others. Through our programs, residents develop friendships that can benefit their quality of life.
- Are developed by creative leadership. We have several team members — including a director of dining and life enrichment and an art therapist — dedicated to developing our programs.
- Offer diverse learning opportunities. Our programs span a variety of cultures and outings, providing engaging opportunities for residents to continue a lifetime of learning.
- Are intellectually engaging. Many people who live at CMSS want to keep learning, which we consider when developing many of their programs, like our art history certificate program.
“The Great Time Travel Adventure”
In the past, we’ve organized lifelong enrichment programs like “Around the World Cruise,” where residents enjoyed cultural and culinary events based on a different country each month; and “Route 66,” where residents explored the culture, music, food and more of cities along the historic Route 66. This year, residents across our three communities — Covenant Home of Chicago, Hartwell Place and Wesley Place — embarked on “The Great Time Travel Adventure,” a life enrichment program that will continue all of 2018.
In “The Great Time Travel Adventure,” each month features events from a new decade of the 20th century. Also, through our art programming, we highlight each decade with an artist of the month that corresponds with the decade that is being celebrated.
For example, in March residents explored the Roaring Twenties which included:
- A Speakeasy event with 1920’s Costume Pieces
- Fun facts of the Women’s Suffrage Movement
- 1920-1929 Trivia
- Artist of the Month Discussion, F. Scott Fitzgerald
We’re excited to see what the next decades include! If you’d like to see “The Great Time Travel Adventure” in action, book a tour. You may visit on a day when we’re exploring your favorite decade.