With the winter season fast approaching, now is the time to take a closer look at all of those home maintenance projects that are on your “to-do” list. A little bit of preventative maintenance now will give you peace of mind all season long and may end up saving you money down the road. As they say, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
The most recommended winter checklist items include:
- Having your furnace properly serviced. Replace filters and clean out any dust and debris that has accumulated over the past year.
- Removing window air conditioners and checking storm windows for needed maintenance. Just a small opening in a window area can result in significant energy and heat loss.
- Clearing gutters and downspouts of leaves and other debris to help prevent water backup, ice dams and dangerous ice patches from forming below.
- Repairing or replacing damaged roofing and siding to help prevent water infiltration. Water is the most common cause of structural damage to home; it also is a prime contributor to the growth of unhealthy mold.
- Check your water heater for any leakage. You don’t want any interruptions in your supply of hot water through the cold months ahead.
Completing these maintenance tasks now will help to keep you and your home safe and warm all season long. For helpful advice on these or any other maintenance projects on your “to-do” list, give us a ring at (773) 769-9000 or email Brian at email@example.com.