To paraphrase the legendary Rock & Roll group The Beatles, “Little darling, it’s been a long, cold, lonely winter… but here comes the Sun!”
With the warmer weather just around the corner, now is the perfect time to start thinking about completing those home maintenance projects that have been on your mind all winter. Some tasks to consider:
- The furnace has been running constantly the last few months, keeping you warm and safe throughout the winter. Have that old, dirty filter replaced now so you don’t have to worry about it next fall. And have a professional conduct a preventative maintenance safety inspection before you forget.
- What better time than spring for a fresh paint job; it’s one of the easiest ways to give any room in your home a clean, remodeled look that you’ll enjoy for years to come!
- Before the heat of summer picks up, have a professional air conditioning contractor inspect and maintain your system or window units as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Now is also a great time to repair any cracked, broken or uneven driveways and walks to help provide a safe walking surface around the home.
- Don’t forget to have your roof and gutters checked for any damage that may have occurred over the winter months. Spring rains can be as damaging as winter ice.
- The onset of warmer weather also signals that it’s time to clean out your clothes dryer exhaust duct, damper, and the space under the dryer.
- Inspect and clean dust from the covers of your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. It’s also a great time to install new batteries all of your home smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Whether it’s from the above list or tasks unique to your home, completing home maintenance tasks now will help to keep you and your home safe for many years to come.
For helpful advice on these or any other maintenance projects on your “to-do” list, give us a ring at (773) 769-9000 or email me at email@example.com.
Brian Holmertz, Coordinator, United Methodist Senior Home Maintenance