After any type of surgery, a medical rehabilitation program can help you recover faster and better than you would on your own. If you have a surgery coming up and haven’t already made a plan for rehab after surgery, start exploring your options.
Why is post-surgical rehab so important?
In terms of your long-term health, how well you recover from surgery can be just as important as the success of the surgery itself.
- retrain and strengthen your muscles
- reduce pain and scar tissue
- improve mobility and flexibility
- prevent new medical problems from forming
- ease you back into daily physical tasks
- prepare your body for regular exercise
- speed overall recovery
In a rehab program, physical therapists will work on your rehabilitation exercises with you and help you do them correctly. With this expert guidance, your exercises will be safer and more effective, improving your recovery. Additionally, rehab offers a personalized treatment plan shaped to your individual needs, including the type of surgery you are recovering from and any other medical conditions you may have.
What are my options for rehab after surgery?
Post-surgical rehab is offered at communities like Wesley Place. There are also options to live at home and travel to your physical therapist for appointments.
There are many advantages to moving into a short-term rehab community directly from the hospital. They include:
- coverage through Medicare and most insurance plans
- access to the physical therapy you need to recover
- regular checkups with your doctor and nurse practitioner
- assistance when you need it between therapy sessions
- fully-prepared meals and housekeeping, allowing you to focus fully on your recovery
- social connections and engaging programs during your recovery
Additionally, when you stay at a short-term rehab community, you don’t need to worry about arranging rides to your appointments.
If you have a pre-planned surgery coming up, it’s easy to make arrangements for rehab ahead of time. Doing so will smooth your transitions from hospital to rehab to home and help you get on the road to recovery. If you want more information about post-surgical rehabilitation at Chicago Methodist Senior Services’ Wesley Place, please get in touch or download our brochure.