You’ve probably heard the phrase, “laughter is the best medicine.” Though you might not think twice about how much you laugh in a day, the health benefits of laughter are powerful. To name a few, laughing strengthens your immune system, heightens your level of energy and keeps you in a positive mood. But the best thing about laughter? It’s something that doesn’t fade as we age.
You can find the benefits of laughter in your day-to-day routine, even if something doesn’t go quite as planned. Whether you get caught in the rain or you lose to a friend in a game of cards, there’s bound to be something that goes slightly awry. Being able to express amusement in these instances can not only help you feel better, but can help calm others around you.
The health benefits of laughter have long-term and short-term physical, mental and social benefits.
Physical Health Benefits of Laughter
- Provides oxygen to your organs and increases endorphins released by your brain
- Strengthens immune system
- Decreases stress hormones
- Eliminates pain
- Relaxes muscles
- Lowers chance of heart disease
Mental Health Benefits of Laughter
- Adds happiness and joy to life
- Decreases anxiety and fear
- Relieves stress
- Enhances mood
- Improves resilience
Social Benefits of Laughter
- Creates and strengthens relationships with others
- Attracts others
- Enhances teamwork
- Helps resolve conflict
- Encourages group bonding
There are numerous ways to reap the health benefits of laughter, but it’s up to you to create these opportunities. If you find that your laughter is lacking, try engaging in a number of these activities:
- Read the comics in the newspaper
- Watch your favorite comedy or a funny TV show
- Seek out funny people
- Share a good joke or a funny story
- Play games with family and friends
- Play with younger children
- Go bowling
- Host a karaoke night
The benefits of laughter are easy to share, as laughing is often done in the company of others. Laughing is contagious, and it doesn’t take much to get a friend chuckling with you. As you learn to find humor and enjoyment in your day-to-day life, it’s important to share the benefits of laughter with others.
What are some ways you like to create amusement in your life? Share with us on Facebook or Twitter.