1415 W. Foster Ave Chicago, IL 60640

Our History

Built from the heart and 120+ years of commitment

The roots of Chicago Methodist Senior Services can be traced back to 1896, when Mrs. E.E. Hartwell rented a six-room flat in Chicago to provide housing for elderly women in need.

Over the years, we’ve expanded our community and residential services to better serve the changing needs of the people we serve. Take a look at our evolution:

1896
Mrs. E.E. Hartwell establishes what was then called “a home for the elderly.”
1898
The Methodist Home is established.
1899
The Methodist Homes moves to Edgewater.
1951
Miller Hall is added to The Methodist Home.
1974
A new Bush Hall at 1415 W. Foster is dedicated featuring a medical center and skilled nursing wing.
1990
Winwood Apartments opens, providing affordable housing to older adults.
1997
Methodist Senior Home Care is established.
1997
White Crane Wellness Center opens on CMSS’s campus.
2000
Hartwell Place is established.
2005
United Methodist Healthcare Recruitment, specializing in staffing and placement for aging services providers, is established.
2006
CMSS begins managing Covenant Home of Chicago, a Covenant Retirement Community located at 2720 West Foster Avenue.
2015
The Methodist Home changes its name to Wesley Place.
2015
CMSS aligns its Home Care services with Evanston based nonprofit, Services for Adults Staying in Their Homes (SASI).
2019
Wesley Place adds a Cardiac Rehabilitation program to its therapy services.
2019
Chicago Methodist Senior Services adds SASI Home Care services and Senior Connections’ volunteer friendly visitor/friendly caller programs.
2021
CMSS transitions management of Covenant Home of Chicago back to Covenant Living Communities & Services.

Want to learn more?

Get in touch today!