With the announcement of The Methodist Home’s name change to Wesley Place on January 23, 2012, it is important not only to look to the future of the organization and the new direction which has been established by recent upgrades, alliances, and enhancements, but also to remember the rich past of The Methodist Home and its legacy as part of the Chicagoland Methodist Senior Services (CMSS) network. Having served the Chicago community for more than a century, there is much to be proud of in the history of CMSS and The Methodist Home.
In choosing the name of Wesley Place, the organization is continuing to honor its legacy; the name recognizes the Methodist movement founder John Wesley, the humble beginnings of its Wesley Street location in 1898, and long-time board member, trustee and benefactor Wesley Wieting. The beginnings of Wesley Place and CMSS can be traced back to 1886, the year in which the Home of Mercy (the precursor to Covenant Home Chicago) was established. It was in 1896 that Mrs. E.E. Hartwell opened the doors to a home for the elderly, and in 1898 The Methodist Home was established. After opening, The Methodist home continued to grow and evolve – adapting to the needs and culture of the people in its community. Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, The Methodist Home saw the additions of Bush Hall, Swift Hall, and Miller Hall, and important improvements and service updates continued into the new century.
While remembering the origins and history of The Methodist Home, the organization is embracing its future and the exciting changes that have come along with the Wesley Place name change. By investing in interior and exterior renovations and cutting edge new programming updates, Wesley Place is continuing in its tradition of moving forward and looking ahead. The New Year and new identity hold exceptional promise for Wesley Place, and its commitment to being a premier provider of rehabilitation has never been stronger.