It's true, coupon clippers can save a ton of money on everything from groceries to oil changes, but the scope of coupons have changed over the past few years thanks to technology. Coupons can now be delivered right to your inbox weekly and even daily with no clipping required if you sign up at www.coupons.com. Furthermore, coupons aren't just for peanut butter and soap anymore. Now you can get coupons for almost any restaurant, salon, bowling alley and service company. Groupon is the new coupon.
What is Groupon?
You might have head the buzz or seen people handing over slips of paper at restaurants or events and wondered what you were missing out on. Launched in November 2008, Groupon is a Chicago based company that features daily deals on the best stuff to do, see, eat and buy that are quite frankly hard to say no to. Groupon is committed to providing unbeatable prices and discounts at top-rated businesses. Now you are scratching your head over the concept of purchasing a coupon. Yes, you did read it correctly. You have to purchase a coupon or shall I say - Groupon?
How does it work?
1. Go to www.groupon.com and sign up by entering your name, email and creating a password.
2. Select the categories you are interested in -- Food, Health, Retail, Activities, etc.
3. Type in your zip code or the zip code where you want to receive the deals.
4. Enter in your credit card information to save on file and you are set!
5. You'll receive daily emails with multiple deals in your area.
6. You typically have a day to purchase or act on the deals (usually presented as $15 for $30 worth of food or $20 for $40 worth of spa services, etc.)
7. You pay the $15 up front and it's charged to your credit card on file once you select the BUY button.
8. Simply print the Groupon and take it with you when you go to the restaurant or business (There is always an expiration date listed whether it be three months or a year, pay attention and don't let your Groupons expire).
9. If you bought the $15 for $30 coupon, the business will deduct the $30 from your final bill and you will pay any remaining balance (remember to tip based on the original bill price).
It really is that simple! Groupon provides all the information you need within the email -- the location of the business, menu, website, value, what's included, etc. New to Groupon is the NOW! DEALS feature. Let's say you decide you want to go out and eat tonight, but you are unsure of where to go and don't currently have any Groupons. Simply sign into your account and click on the NOW! DEALS tab. You'll see a list of available deals within your area that have to be redeemed by a specified time that you can take advantage of tonight!
Another new feature to Groupon is Groupon Getaways. Here you can purchase everything from one night stays in a hotel in your town to a 7 day all inclusive vacation in the Bahamas. Several of the deals will include breakfast at the hotel, a bottle of wine or even a free spa service you will receive during your stay. With Groupon Getaways you are simply receiving a percentage off the regular price of that vacation or hotel.
With other companies similar to Groupon out there like Living Social and Google Offers, it's hard not to save money these days if you stay connected. Don't waste another dollar, sign up and start saving!
Research & Community Education
Chicago Skilled Nursing
Chicago Senior Living